Meet the Incontinence Experts | Diagnosis & Treatment of Incontinence
Sign up for our
E-News Bulletins

Meet the Experts

When they do decide to see a doctor, most people with incontinence turn to their GP or family doctor for help. Some women will discuss it with their gynecologist. Unfortunately, not all GPs or gynecologists will wish to diagnose the cause of incontinence themselves. They may refer you to a specialist for additional tests or advice on treatment. Depending on your particular circumstances, the road to getting help may include these specialists:

  • A urologist, a doctor who specializes in diseases of the urinary system in women and men and the male reproductive system. Urologists are qualified surgeons. Click here to learn more.
  • A urogynecologist, a gynecologist with special training in urinary problems that affect women. Urogynecologists are also qualified surgeons. Click here to learn more.
  • A nurse continence advisor is a nurse who has been specially educated to help people with bladder control problems. The focus of the nurse continence advisor is to assess your bladder problem and help you learn what you can do to regain bladder control. Click here to learn more.
  • A physiotherapist, a healthcare worker who can give you valuable advice and information on how your bladder works and how to control leakage through behavioural treatments like Kegel exercises, biofeedback and bladder retraining. Click here to learn more.

To locate any one of these types of medical specialists in your area, click here for a list of health professionals in your location.

Ask an Expert


(do not include your name, phone number, email or other personal identification with your tip)

Contact Us
20 Crown Steel Drive, Unit 6
Markham ON L3R 9X9
Toll Free: 1-855-415-3917
Email: ccf at secretariatcentral dot com
Sign up for our
E-News Bulletins

Scroll ↓